I will share 2 ways to remove vinyl from shirts easily.
With these techniques you can remove vinyl from fabric and use it to correct errors or to reuse shirts that have damaged vinyl, but the best thing is that you can do it with materials and tools that you surely have at home!
Before we get started, it’s very important to note that this technique only works on vinyl printed shirts, not screen printed or sublimated.
If you are wondering how to remove the vinyl from fabric, it is necessary to take into account the delicacy of the fabric so as not to damage it in the process.
I recommend you test a small area of the shirt beforehand if the heat or acetone will not affect the cloth.
How to remove vinyl from a shirt with acetone
This method of removing vinyl from a shirt will cause the acetone to dissolve the glue on the vinyl.
To do this we will need:
If you don’t have acetone you can use your own nail polish remover (just make sure that it is acetone-based).
Here are the steps to know how to remove vinyl from shirts:
- Step 1: First we will turn the shirt inside out.
- Step 2: We will soak the cloth or cotton in acetone and rub it on the back of the vinyl that you want to remove.
- Step 3: Then, we will turn the garment over and with our hands or a tweezers we will remove the vinyl. If there is still vinyl left on the fabric, repeat the process again.
- Step 4: Finally, it only remains to rinse the garment in water and wash.
How to remove vinyl from a shirt with heat
For this technique we walk you through how to remove vinyl from shirt with heat press. Heat will activate the vinyl glue so that it is much easier to remove.
- Step 1: First, we will put the shirt on the table with the vinyl facing up.
- Step 2: Next, we will place a sheet of printer paper over the decal so that it covers it completely.
- Step 3: On the sheet of paper we will start to heat for approximately 30 seconds.
- Step 4: And lastly, we will remove the paper before it cools, and we will see that the vinyl has adhered to it. In this way we will have removed most of the vinyl from the fabric.
Thats how to remove vinyl off a shirt!
Depending on the type of fabric, these methods can also show you how to remove vinyl from a sweatshirt.
You can also look at this post on how to cut vinyl on Cricut.
Leave a comment below and let me know if these steps worked for you.