Clean your Cricut Mat in 5 Easy Steps
If you are an avid Cricut user, you have probably wondered how to clean your Cricut mat. After using them over and over for a while, they start to get gunky and therefore begin to lose their grip.
Instead of buying new mats when this happens, you can actually clean them to extend their life and make them sticky again! Here are a few everyday tips before we dive into the best way to clean a Cricut mat…
- The clear cover that comes with all the Cricut Mats, many people throw these away. Do not throw them away! These are meant to help keep your Cricut mats clean and free from dust, hair, etc. when being stored.
- Always remove leftover material as soon as you have done a project. Sometimes, you may get wrapped up into whatever you are crafting, you can forget to remove the excess materials left on your Cricut mat that you aren’t using. Just try to remember that once you have carefully removed the pieces you actually need, you also need to remove the leftover parts. Leaving materials on the mat for longer than you need to make the Cricut mat harder to keep clean.
- You can use a basic lint roller to help remove smaller pieces off of the mat such as tiny scraps or glitter. Glitter cardstick is a super popular material used on the Cricut mats, so a lint roller will help to remove any glitter particles.
- Alcohol free baby wipes do wonders for your Cricut mat if you use them after each project. Before you put all of your tools away for the day, take a baby wipe and scrub off your Cricut mat. This is best used for when your mat is mildly dirty, this won’t really work on a super dirty Cricut mat. It is more of a preventative task.
Clean your Cricut Mat in 5 Easy Steps:
The best way to clean your Cricut mat is with warm water, dish soap, and a sponge. This method only works on the green, purple, and blue mats. More information on cleaning the pink mat is below. You can also check out our blog on all of the different types of Cricut Mats, if you are wondering what their differences are.
- Put your mat in the sink.
- Put a generous amount of dish soap on your sponge.
- Run warm water over the mat and gently scrub the mat with the sponge to remove any gunk you see.
- Wash off the mat one last time to get any soap off.
- Take the mat and pat it dry with paper towels, then let it air dry for a bit until it’s completely dry!
If you also use the pink fabric mat, you have to clean these a bit differently. Since you are not supposed to touch the pink mat with your bare fingers, using tweezers to help remove any access fabric is very helpful.
But with this Pink mat, you are never going to get a fully clean mat without fibers or threads once you begin using it, and that’s okay. The mat will still work perfectly fine.
A little pro trick to help keep the mats cleaner is to use transfer tape sticky side up for all of your projects. That way, fibers and threads stick to the transfer sheet instead of the mat.
Using these methods to clean your Cricut mats every so often will absolutely extend their life. Sometimes a mat may get too far gone to save, in which case I usually toss them. But I have found that by using the everyday tips plus having a thorough cleaning schedule definitely helps.
I hope this blog post broke down hot to clean your Cricut mat in 5 easy steps. As you can see, it is quite easy to clean the Cricut mats. So once your mats begin getting a little dirty and less sticky, don’t run out and buy new ones quite yet. Try these 5 steps first!